I saw this amazing looking recipe for a skillet lasagna last week that I really wanted to try. I had never even heard of making a lasagna in a skillet and it sounded interesting. That and my boys love pasta and cheese. So what could be better than Sunday dinner lasagna? Lasagna combined with homemade noodles, that’s what!
I decided to up the nutrition factor in my noodles by adding in a cup of power greens (baby spinach/kale/chard mix) along with some ground flax seeds. I did bring in some help to roll out the dough. Kaiden loves to help in the kitchen, so we had all hands on deck.
I’ve given my pasta recipe below. I followed the skillet lasagna recipe with some changes: no onion, 1 tbsp olive oil instead of 2, no spinach since I had it in my noodles, 2 garlic cloves instead of 4, added 1 cut up zucchini, used only 1/2 cup of whole milk, organic cottage cheese instead of ricotta and grated marble cheese on top of lasagna. Kaiden enjoyed his lasagna and getting to use his knife for the first time, although Daddy did the cutting.
Homemade Power Greens, Flax, Spelt and Whole Wheat Pasta
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup spelt flour
- 1 cup power green leaves, pureed in a food processor (or baby spinach; we bought a bag of organic power greens – mixed baby kale, spinach and chard from Costco)
- 1 tbsp olive oil (optional)
- ~1/4 cup water (or more until desired consistency is reached)
- pinch of sea salt
- Combine the flour and salt together in a bowl. Add the greens and mix. Pour in the olive oil (if using) and then the water. Mix together until dough comes together nicely into a ball form and knead. Place on a cutting board, cover and let rest for ~ 15 minutes if you have the time. Roll out as thin as you can and cut into lasagna noodles. I used 5 noodles for the skillet lasagna and made the rest of the dough into spaghetti. Place noodles on the back of a chair to dry for a bit. Then add to boiling water for 6-7 minutes or to your liking. Enjoy! Next time, I think I will double the batch and freeze some of the pasta by following these easy instructions.